Interview with Benjamin Becker
- What was your impression of the match? At the beginning one had the feeling he just overran you. But he said that he didn’t play that well but that you were nervous at the beginning?
- Benjamin Becker: Yes, that’s true. By my standards, I played badly. It’s no shame to lose to Monfils but the way I lost was disappointing.
- The second set wasn’t that bad, was it?
- Benjamin Becker: It also wasn’t good. I was hoping all the time that I would find my way into the match and find my rhythm. But I just didn’t succeed in doing so. In the second set, it was closer but whenever it was important I hit the ball completely wrongly, I was positioned wrongly to the ball. I couldn’t find my rhythm. That was very frustrating on court.
- Is that also due to Monfils’ playing unconventionally, there are hardly any classic rallies but then he hits a forehand slice?
- Benjamin Becker: Not really because I didn’t do mistakes on his forehand slice but on simple balls. Therefore, I don’t think that it had anything to do with Monfils, but that I somehow went onto the court and played much worse than during practice.
- What will your further preparation for Wimbledon look like?
- Benjamin Becker: I just found out that I will play doubles here because somebody pulled out. Then I will play s’Hertogenbosch and then Wimbledon. I will have to think about how I can retrieve my usual performance on court.