Interview with Florian Mayer
- Congratulations. Can you explain what it means to you to be champion?
- Florian Mayer: I would say it’s my biggest win in my career to win a 500 ATP event here in Germany on grass in Halle (smiles). If you see the list of champions in the past here and now my name is on the poster, on the list, I cannot believe it, really (laughs).
- After having lost that second set having match point how did you fight your way back?
- Florian Mayer: After having lost that second set having match point how did you fight your way back? MAYER: I was just saying to myself, it was a little bit unlucky, fight for every point. Okay if I lose, then it’s okay but please fight for every point, give your best. I started to get a little bit tired at the end but I was just fighting and did this one break and luckily served it out at 5-3.
- So does that make the hard work worthwhile coming back from a serious injury?
- Florian Mayer: Yes, of course, it was a hard time, many injuries, not playing tournaments. So, it’s a special moment now for me to come back, to win a 500 tournament helps a lot to be back in the top 100 also. I mean with one tournament everything changes now for my ranking and to plan for the bigger tournaments in the future.