Interview with Kei Nishikori
after his retirement
- Can you talk about your injury, what it was, when it started and how you are feeling with Wimbledon coming up?
- Kei Nishikori: I felt it yesterday during the match and I fought through yesterday. But today was a little pain this morning and I tried in the match, but couldn’t really move. So, I, especially with these guys, with the injury it’s never easy to win. And I don’t want to take a big risk for Wimbledon. So, I just retired from the match today.
- Is it a calf injury? What is it specifically?
- Kei Nishikori: Yes, it’s the calf.
- Do you have any learnings with regard to the injury? Do you think that next time you could either prepare or do something different?
- Kei Nishikori: I mean, I don’t know. It just came suddenly yesterday. So, there is nothing I could do and it’s very unfortunate. But I try to find a way to prepare for Wimbledon.
- Do you think it will affect your Wimbledon preparation or playing Wimbledon? Do you think that is all in doubt now?
- Kei Nishikori: I don’t know, I cannot say much because I have to see how it will be the next couple of days. I really will have to see how the pain goes. But I’m sure it’s going to be okay. It’s no big deal.