Interview with Kei Nishikori
after his win against Dustin Brown
- Dustin is not the most usual player on the court and he can be unpredictable. You are very reliable and very solid from the baseline. How do you think your game matched up against this today? How did you feel out there?
- Kei Nishikori: I think it was a great game for me. All the important points I played good points You know, I was just waiting for one chance in the first set because I know I was playing well and he was hitting some great shots, there was nothing I could do. So, I was just waiting for the moment and at 6-5 I took some risks and I did what I had to do. In the second set, I was more confident and everything was going well. So, very good match today.
- What are your assessments for Wimbledon and how do you assess Rafael Nadal right now?
- Kei Nishikori: First, I have to play well here and I hope I can play many more matches and get more confidence, experience and everything. And I hope I can have a good preparation for Wimbledon. Last year I was last sixteen so I hope I can go further. I think these two matches will help to get more confidence and I was playing solid today. I don’t know, I haven’t seen much for Rafa, so I cannot say too much. But I’m sure he’s going to be okay.
- Did you feel well on the Centre Court today? I mean because of the grass, the humidity and the climate, was it all fine for you?
- Kei Nishikori: Yes, I mean it’s never perfect on grass. It’s not easy to see, the bounce is never perfect. But, the court is pretty good. It’s almost the end of the week. So, the grass is not perfect right now. But, you know that’s the grass court. I think it’s good, I haven’t fallen down yet. So, it’s good.
- How are your expectations in Japan, especially for Wimbledon. You are a kind of a pop star in Japan? Can you say something about this?
- Kei Nishikori: I don’t know, I don’t feel much pressure from Japan. I just try to think what I can do all the time. I think Wimbledon is not an easy tournament. I have been playing well this week and these last couple of weeks. I just try to play my game and I hope I can do well in Wimbledon.
- After the first match against Dominic Thiem which was a tough one, you said you want to improve your serve on the grass. Do you feel that you managed to perform better today particularly on your serve?
- Kei Nishikori: The serve was very good today. That’s why I think there were only a few break points that we had and even that point I think I served well. Many aces here and sometimes I tried to sneak into the net and it was working. So, I’ve been feeling very well on the court.
- How is your wrist condition? I can see some ice on it?
- Kei Nishikori: Oh, it’s good. I do that all the time.
- You have a match with Janowicz, he’s a big hitter also, not so healthy for the returning wrist?
- Kei Nishikori: Yes, it’s going to be tough for sure. He hits a big forehand and even backhand, too. Obviously, he has a great serve. I’m sure he’s going to come in a lot. He’s a very aggressive player. So, it’s never easy to play on grass. So, I try to play my game and let’s see what happens.