Interview with Philipp Kohlschreiber
- I know it’s pretty hard to assess now but anyway how good of a tournament is this in general and especially for you with the support of the crowd?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Well, I think it’s one of the best tournaments. I’m very happy to be part of the tournament every year and also this year I had a very good performance. Unfortunately, the match today … I think I had a little bit overweight most of the time in the match but basically he took the big points and that sometimes makes the difference. Of course, it was great and I enjoyed every moment today. But sometimes you wish to replay the match and make maybe something different. But overall I’d say he’s a very tough competitor on this surface. He was fighting very hard, he tried to play aggressive, maybe also in the crucial moments he took a little bit more risk. I have to say, well played for him and unfortunately for myself I couldn’t go to the final. And, of course, that’s very disappointing.
- Sorry for the loss today. Yesterday you had a very long match against your competitor and, today, like how much of the long match did that have an effect on today’s match. You were up in the final set, then you kind of fell back and didn’t come back to win the match. So how much of it was physical tiredness as such?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Not at all. Maybe I didn’t start that well. I think I came back very strong in the first set. I had more opportunities over the whole match. I created myself or put myself always in a good position in the return game. I think I didn’t face so many break points, maybe only in the third set but in the second set I cruised through my service games. Well, he had a very good return game when I was up 3:2 in the third set with the running pass shot, then great reaction volley at the net where I passed really well. He returned first serve very close to the line, I challenged. So, there were like a few things maybe against me or in this way for him. Well, that’s tennis. Sometimes you fight for a long time, you always have the overweight a little bit but he won the very important points in the end. I mean it was a big fight from both of us and at the end he was the one, who achieved a little bit more aggression on the court and that’s one of the reasons he won.
- How much of confidence will this semi-final take you to Wimbledon?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: It’s always great to have many matches before on grass. I think also today I performed very well. I felt good. He’s a very difficult player on grass. He’s a leftie. He came always back with an ugly serve in the important moments. And also the way he plays, he’s playing very flat over the net, so, he’s not playing a lot of spin. When I created a little bit of height in my game I think he struggled a lot but obviously grass is not the place to play high spin. I tried my best but he stepped in and he came maybe more often to the net. I didn’t take the couple of chances and that’s the end of the story.