Interview with Philipp Kohlschreiber
- Your thoughts on Thiem making it to the Top 10?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Well, it’s very impressive. I think he had a very good run last year at the end of the clay court season winning two or three tournaments in a row. This early start of the year, he was very strong in South America, now he has a huge run. I'm happy I played him in these times three times, leading 2-1, it’s very important I tell him all the time. But he, of course, made a huge step forward. It’s great to see him performing so well.
- Did you decide to play doubles here before or after your final in Stuttgart?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Before. But anyway it’s nothing what’s going to happen on court. We fight, we give everything and beside the court we understand each other very well. We have a lot of fun together. So, we would also play together here of course after the finals yesterday.
- Even though you lost a close match did you get used to the conditions here?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Yes, it was good to have a doubles today. Of course, the grass feels a little bit different. It’s very rainy at the moment. Every surface reacts a little bit different. Even in doubles you don’t get the same rhythm. But I think we raised a little bit our level. I think at the end it was very good doubles, in the beginning it was a little bit rough. Also with the travel yesterday, sitting five hours in the car, it takes a little bit. But I think we are both ready for tomorrow and, of course, one of my favourite tournaments. I really want to perform here very well and I have to be ready for tomorrow 100%. It’s not going to be an easy match the first round.
- What match are you expecting tomorrow?
- Philipp Kohlschreiber: Surely, I do know my opponent very well, we have played many times and he also has been on the Tour for a long time. There aren’t a lot of secrets but I surely have to make sure that my game is on. I think on grass it’s the most important to keep your level. There are a few very important phases where you clearly need to be ready and you have to use those and put yourself into the position for that.